Rug Making Process
- Hand Knotted
- Hand Loom
- Hand Tufted
- Dhurries & Kilims
- Machine Made
Rug Choosing Guide
- Knots per Inch
- Silk Rugs
- Wool Rugs
- Bamboo Silk/Tencel/Viscose
- Cotton Rugs
- Jute/Sisal/Coir/Hemp/Grass Rugs
- Leather Rugs
- Rubber Floor Coverings
Hand - Tufted
Trace your fingers over the canvas backing, which is glued on to hold the knots together and you will know that this rug is undoubtedly Hand - tufted. It will, as a rule, have a cut or cut and loop pile, which means that they are tufted with loops of yarn instead of having knots tied through the yarn. This weaving technique uses medium quality materials in comparison to Hand - Knotted rugs but is still able to produce precise detailing in the design but within less time and with less cost.
This technique of weaving is certainly more convenient and made easier, and speedier by the use of a handy tool called the tufting gun, which has needles in front. In a process known as tufting, the yarn is drawn through a hollow needle that hooks and pulls the yarn through the stretched cloth backing to create loops or piles in the outlined areas of the design, all done on an iron frame, which holds the backing fabric in place with the design traced on it in detail. Moreover, the outline serves as an easy reference for the artisan to know the place and pattern of the different colours of threads.
Once the rug has been completed according to required specifications, a canvas backing is glued to the rug, which acts as a shield preventing the tufted yarn from shedding, giving it an unique look. Rugs woven through this process generally take 2-3 months to make but are durable, lasting for 5 - 7 years. The faster production allows for more cost saving.
Do you want a Hand tufted rug instead?
A hand tufted rug can be your preferred choice if you want a rug that:
- Is a more affordable option vis-a-vis the more expensive hand knotted ones
- Has a medium or high pile length but is nevertheless comfortable to walk on
- Is tufted with loops of yarns and comes in a variety of textures, patterns, and colours with moderately intricate detailing of design
- Is suitable for a low traffic area such as your bedroom
- Still serves your purpose even if it sheds in high traffic areas and is not water-resistant because of its glued canvas backing